Weekly Wednesday Ingredient Spotlight
Welcome to our first Weekly Wednesday Ingredient Spotlight. The goal of these weekly spotlights is to give you a little more information on the ingredients we choose to use in our products and the benefits they bring to your skin. We are a vintage inspired skincare company which is where the idea for our products comes from and then ultimately what time period the recipes for our products come from. However after the recipes are decided upon we are also a natural skincare company. So within that recipe certain oils and butters and essential oils are chosen or added to the original recipe for their benefits to the skin and hair which may not have been used in the 1920's, 30's or 40's. It is within this weekly blog post that we wish to explore the benefits of these ingredients. We hope that you find these posts exciting and helpful. While some of the ingredients may not have been found in a 1940's cold cream for example they may have been found in an 18th century apothecary. It's one of the reasons for our name :)
This week's product spotlight is on our first essential oils, Lavender, Geranium and Rose Otto. Used in our flagship Vanishing Creams and Cold Creams, each was chosen for their powerful ability to heal a specific skin condition.
Our Lavender facial line is made for many different skin types including normal skin, sensitive skin, mild acne, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, redness and any sort of skin irritation. Lavender is a very healing essential oil which is very good for skin diseases of all all types as well as burns and scars.
Some of the main skin benefits of Lavender Essential Oil include:
- Kills bacteria thus preventing and healing breakouts
- Is anti-inflammatory helping to reduce redness, blotching and ruddiness
- Contains antioxidants to prevents wrinkles
- Minimize the appearance of sun spots
- Helps to soothe and heal skin afflicted by eczema and psoriasis
- Reduces inflammation
- The scent of Lavender is also know for reducing stress and promoting relaxation
Our Rose facial line is made for dry skin or for skin that is starting to show signs of aging such as fines lines, wrinkles, hyper-pigmentation or loss of firmness. Rose is a very moisturizing oil that dry skin loves! It is also very good for plumping the skin and reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
Please note we only use Rose Otto essential in our products not to be confused with Rose Absolute. We personally use Rose Otto oil, because we find steam distilled a far more superior method of extraction. We do not like solvent extraction because there is a solvent residue left behind, something we do not want to use in our products. The solvent residue makes it a non-therapeutic oil. This is the method used with Rose Absolute. Also we find the scent of Rose Otto to be much more delicate than the scent of Rose Absolute. Many natural products use Rose Absolute in their rose face creams as it is much less expensive. It is something to keep in mind when searching for your skincare brand!
Some of the main benefits of Rose Otto Essential Oil include:
- Full of antioxidants that stave off free radicals which makes it a powerful anti-ager!
- Tones the skin and tightens large pores
- Protects skin from UV damage
- Calms redness and irritation
- Reduces dark spots and acne scars
- It can absorb deep into the tissues and moisturize the skin wonderfully.
- Dryness can be easily reduced and skin will have a smooth complexion.
- Prevents scarring
- Treats broken capillaries
- Has cooling, soothing and astringent effects.
Our Geranium facial line is for severe or cystic acne, oily or combination skin or skin that is otherwise out of balance. Geranium is good for clearing the skin of blemishes and bringing balance to the skin. We understand that just because you may have cystic acne does not necessarily mean you have oily skin. You may have very dry skin in fact. Our Geranium line is all about balance. It will clear your skin of any imperfections and bring balance to keep your skin clear as well as soft, smooth and free of redness and shine in the future!
Some of the main benefits of Geranium Essential Oil include:
- Contains antiseptic, anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that kill off germs and bacteria responsible for acne.
- It also normalizes hormonal functions and secretions, guarding against hormonal acne. This is what makes Geranium effective against cystic acne.
- Has soothing properties that calms down skin inflammation.
- Its cleansing action helps purge toxins, dirt, grime and excess sebum and dead cells from deep within skin pores.
- It has cytophylactic properties that fight off skin infections, help wounds heal faster and slough off dead cells from skin.
- Provides nutritive benefits to skin and has ultra-moisturizing properties that keep skin cells hydrated and excess oil-free.
- A powerful inflammation-fighting skin care ingredient.
- It calms skin rashes & acne inflammation.
- Decreases scarring and gradually fades acne scars, blemishes, age spots and dark marks.
- Provides a natural astringent effect on skin. It tightens skin, reduces large pores, controls oiliness and tones facial skin.